Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

a Halloween (birthday) bouquet--how to

DSC_0714

Today is my neighbor Maria’s birthday so I picked out this odd shaped pumpkin, some bright red dahlias, white tulips, berries and smokebush leaves from Trader Joe’s and I made this pretty bouquet for her.

Do you want to see how I did it?

DSC_0643DSC_0647

DSC_0648

I used a plastic water bottle and cut it to fit inside the pumpkin.

DSC_0650

DSC_0652

I used the opening of the bottle to draw an outline on the pumpkin and then I started cutting…and scooping out the insides.

DSC_0655 (2)

Once I cleaned out the inside I discovered the bottle still didn’t fit. No worries, just keep trimming inside the rim.

 

DSC_0656

You want the bottle to fit snug. Once it fits you can fill it with water and start placing your flowers.

DSC_0663

 

DSC_0664

The shades of dark purple in the smoke bush seemed like a nice Halloweeny compliment to the flowers.

DSC_0704

Add the white tulips and more berries

And don’t worry if you can see the rim of the plastic bottle peeking out when you’re done. You simply stick some moss into the rim and let it drape over. 

DSC_0669

I happened to have this bright green color but I could have made it a tad more spooky with the gray Spanish moss. 

DSC_0703

If this was for a Halloween table I’d probably put a trail of tiny spiders on the pumpkin…

DSC_0712

See how simple this bouquet was?

I sure hope you’re enjoying the 29th Day of October!

 

fullbleed_41826

 

xo

Leslie

 

15 comments:

Donna@anangloinquébec said...

Okay Leslie you are still going strong and with the cutest posts!! This is sweet!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

You have such a knack for flower arranging, Leslie! You make it look so easy I'm going to give it a try when we host Thanksgiving this year and really impress my family! Thanks for sharing the how to!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

That is so pretty Leslie! I love the colors, the berries, the moss and putting it all in a pumpkin was so clever! What a wonderful gift!

Art and Sand said...

Oh, I love this!

I might copy this idea for our Thanksgiving table.

Happy Halloween

Sheepskinsandfairylights said...

Wow I love that, lucky neighbour!! Xx

Sarah said...

Lovely, Leslie! You are a sweetheart of a neighbor. I know she is going to feel special. Love the flowers at TJ's and your combination of berries and moss with the flowers.
Happy Birthday, Maria!

Marilyn said...

Lucky, lucky neighbor! I bet she loves her special bouqest.

Marilyn (in Dallas)

Karen said...

What a pretty bouquet and what a great idea for a table setting for Thanksgiving.
xo,
Karen

Pitter and Glink said...

Stunning! I love all the different flowers you used in the arrangement, and of course I love the "vase"!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

This is so charming, Leslie...I love the idea of using the water bottle! Looks so pretty and fun...I know your neighbor will love it!

Elizabeth@pineconesandacorns said...

Leslie, this is fabulous! You are so talented!

Jennifer said...

I love this!!! You're so clever. Stealing this idea to use next year. Enjoy your week!
xoxoJennifer

Gypsy Heart said...

LOVE it!! I think you've been a florist/designer in a past life. :) The flowers are perfection! I haven't seen white tulips in forever and tulips are one of my favorites. Maria is a very lucky lady!

xo
Pat

Lori said...

Love this tutorial! You did it girl and I imagine you are taking a little blog break right now which is well deserved. Enjoy xo

cindy hattersley design said...

I love these! I always host Thanksgiving for about 20-25. I think I might copy you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...